curses in the inbox

Here is a little rant that I feel unfortunately doesn’t show the best side of human nature.  It’s about those emails that say “mail this out to 500 of your closest friends within 20 minutes and good things will happen.  Ignore it and face the consequences of screwing with Karma”.

Now when I get these they usually come across like little annoyances.  If you love me send this back.  Well I’m flippin’ sorry but I do love my friends and I choose to express it in a much better way than propagating cheesy emails.

Usually I just ignore them unless someone asks my opinion.  I always request that I not receive these.

Today took the cake and that is why I’m writing this here.  so in case you ever wondered my opinion!!!

This email had the most sinister tone to it. It instructed the recipient to gaze at an image (I did not do this and immediately wanted to delete the email)

The President of Argentina received this picture and called it “junk mail”, 8 days later his son died.. A man received this picture & immediately sent out copies..his surprise was winning the lottery. Alberto Martinez received this picture, gave it to his secretary to make copies but they forgot to distribute:     She lost her job & he lost his family. This picture is miraculous & sacred.

You were chosen to receive this Novena.

The moment you receive it, say :   “blah blah blah” <– which is a well-known prayer.

Ya know this is just flat out WRONG.  Not only is it wrong it is EVIL.

I don’t need to win the lottery to be this happy as I am right this minute.  And I don’t want any of my family members to die.  So my choice here is to not send this to anyone.  Is that freakin OK WITH YOU?  You evil mind fu#(ing pukes!!!!  To include sacred words in such an overall bad wish message is just reprehensible.

Why oh WHY if you, Dear Reader, have sent these along to other “victims” what were you thinking when you did?  Did you stop to think about the message you are sending on?

In my book Inspired Remnants, Curious Dreams this is what it is written on the page “About Kerin” page . . .

“The most important thing you should know about Kerin is that she wishes you, the holder of this book and reader of this page, the most golden of good wishes and generous sprinklings of unexplained happiness at the most unexpected of times.”

Note that it doesn’t say “buy 5 copies of this book within the next week and you will have good luck– ignore this message and you will suffer a most horrible tragedy”.

Let’s go for the higher good people and be each other’s hero by not perpetuating these bad wishes and bad karma.  Pretty please?

7 Comments

1. Lisa Jurist said,

June 21, 2011 at 3:12 pm

i agree with you….rise up people! i hate that trash too…just recently had to explain to my kids how wrong they are as a few students were circulating them around to kids emails with directives and terrifying consequences if not followed…

• remnants said,

June 21, 2011 at 3:31 pm

Yikes Lisa– glad to hear you were there and stepped in to stop the insanity. These kind of emails remind me of an “implied consent” that I always used in jobs I’ve held. Kind of deviously sneaky but not in any bad sort of way at least from my perspective LOL.

I’d ask for something I wanted (example a minor thing such as some sort of new rule or privilege that I’d like to see implemented) and then just say “if I don’t hear from you I’ll assume this works for you as well”. That way they had to take action to prevent it from happening. In the case of these emails saying that “if you don’t do this or that ((i.e. take an action) then this fate will befall you”. Sheesh that is just not good. And kids were sending this type of thing to each other??? That is truly upsetting.

I really believe in the law of attraction and so focus on only those things that I want and tend to ignore things I don’t want. But this was such an affront receiving that email I felt I had to say something both to the sender and here just to blow off some steam. Now I’m OK again. : ) And hope you and the kids are also!!! xoxox

2. Renate said,

June 21, 2011 at 8:32 pm

Oh, I hate these things too. Seems like the new version of the old chain letters – “break the chain and something bad will happen…”
    Seems to me there are enough bad things happening in the world – we don’t need people sending around chain emails propagating more bad things…

3. brenda said,

June 22, 2011 at 2:09 am

Amen, sisters!

4. June 30, 2011 at 9:12 am

Hi Kerin! First of all, thank you so much for the encouraging blog comment. It really helped!

Second, great post… I hate those letters too!!

Best wishes!
    Shelly

5. alteredbits said,

July 20, 2011 at 10:27 pm

i hate that shit and i, personally, just delete it. i’m still alive. (though i just typoed “i’m still alice”). i agree. people need to pull their heads out of their arses and stop being dumb. i have never and will never forward any of that trash to you, my sweet friend. :)

• remnants said,

July 21, 2011 at 6:18 am

Thank you for that Alicia!!! Here we are still alice and kicking and ready for another day. : ) Love your typos!!! LOL